I love salads this time of year. Not the wimpy all lettuce salads with one sad tomato. Hearty salads with all the toppings! This salad is great as a side but is satisfying enough to be a meal on its own. Enjoy!
Makes 2 meal-sized servings or 4 side servings
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 cucumber
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 14-oz cab chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Place the quinoa, water, and a pinch of salt in a medium stockpot and bring to a boil. Cover and turn the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, juice the lemon into a large bowl. Add olive oil and whisk together to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chop the cucumber into 1/4 inch thick slices, then chop the slices into quarters.
- Allow the quinoa to cool. Then add to the large bowl, along with the cucumbers, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Toss to cover thoroughly in dressing. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
Change it up!
- Add grilled chicken breast, ground turkey, or grilled sirloin to beef it up
- Swap the quinoa for leftover rice or minced cauliflower
- Add 1-2 tablespoons minced cilantro or basil to the dressing
- Add 1 minced clove of garlic to the dressing
- Add a thinly sliced red onion for a spicy crunch
- Add ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese. Yum!