Have you tried a sheet pan dinner yet? It is a fantastic time-saver. Everything cooks on one sheet pan, making cleanup super simple. I adapted this recipe from Melissa Clark's recipe for roasted harissa chicken, potatoes and arugula. That recipe is amazing and a little bit dressier version of a sheet pan dinner. This adaption came about when I was trying to use up a bunch of leftover greens in the fridge.
Adapted from Melissa Clark's NYT recipe for Roasted Chicken with Potatoes, Arugula, and Garlic Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or other hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2.5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1.5 lb red potatoes, quartered
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch kale, removed from stem, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 handful spinach, baby kale or baby arugula
- Heat oven to 425. Placce the first 3 ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set sauce aside. Pat yourself on the back, the hardest part is over!
- Cover a rimmed sheet pan or baking dish with foil. Place chicken and potatoes on the pan and season liberally with salt and pepper on all sides (no, really. this is more than just a pinch). Pour the sriracha sauce over the chicken and potatoes and toss with your hands to combine. Then, wash your hands really well because salmonella is a major bummer.
- Roast the chicken and potatoes at 425 for 10 minutes. Don't get too excited, we're not done yet.
- While the chicken roasts, combine kale, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and a pinch of salt (just a pinch is fine this time, more if you like salt). If massaging kale is your thing, now is a good time. Since you're going to roast it, I don't find a big difference, but you might.
- After 10 mintues has passed, flip the potatoes. Then top with kale and continue roasting until potatoes are lightly browned and crispy and the chicken is no longer pink, about 25-30 min. You can get excited now, we're almost done!
- While the chicken continues to cook, crush the garlic and mince. Combine the garlic with yogurt and a pinch of salt
- To serve, scatter a handful of spinach or other greens on top of the chicken and veggies. Drizzle yogurt on top or alternatively, serve in a dish on the side. Squeeze the juice from half a lemon on top and serve!
What do you make to clean out your fridge? Let me know in the comments!