Confession: I am a breakfast skipper. I know, I know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But the past few weeks (ok, months), I have woken up not feeling hungry. I'll add some milk into my coffee and grab a banana so that my stomach isn't grumbling before lunch, but that's not really breakfast. That's a snack, and a small one at that.
Lately, I've been feeling a little hungry in the mornings, so I'm using this reset as a fresh start on breakfast. I think part of the reason why I am not hungry is because I'm rushing around in the morning. In my head, I've got my routine perfectly timed so I can spend the maximum amount of time in bed. In reality, I'm rushing around, trying to pack my bag, make coffee, find matching socks... I'm not giving my body any time to wake up! So I'm going to break the cycle by getting prepared the night before, including making something that I can grab as I rush out the door.
Here are few ideas I have for the next 10 days:
- Breakfast banana split: yogurt, sliced banana, blueberries, and sliced almonds
- Sweet potato frittata:
- Cook 1 peeled sweet potato, then cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in an oven-safe pan and saute 1 diced onion
- Add the sweet potato
- Whisk together 8 eggs with salt and pepper
- Add the eggs to the pan and cook until they start to set
- Transfer the pan to a 400° oven & bake until set, about 10 minutes
- Egg muffins
- Hard boiled eggs and fruit
- Overnight oats: Put 1 cup steel cut oats, 1 cup dried fruit, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3 + 1/2 cups water, 1 cup milk or cream, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a crock pot. Place on low, cover, and cook for 7-8 hours
And, should that fail, here are a few ideas I have for quick breakfasts:
- Scrambled eggs with salsa
- Smoothie: 1 cup milk or coffee, 1 banana, 1 tablespoon nut butter, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 scoop protein powder
- Deli meat roll-ups: deli meat rolled around veggie slices
What ideas do you have for breakfast? Or are you also a breakfast skipper? Let me know in the comments!